Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Friday, January 18, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

(Warning: May Have Spoiler Alerts)
clip_image002

If I've read a book, and it turns into a movie, it’s usually hard for me to watch it, just because I know what’s going to happen, or I’m sensitive to all the changes that they made in the movie. The first two movies of Harry Potter were good; the next 4 made me cringe, and the last two redeemed themselves, much to my relief.  When the trailers for the Hobbit came out, I was cautiously optimistic about it. I’ve had good memories about reading that book when I was a child; I remember the riddle exchange between Bilbo and Gollum, and being overjoyed when I found out the ring made Bilbo invisible. The book set a movie in my head; I can even distinctly remember feeling the heat rising around me, when reading the part where Bilbo entered the dragon Smaug’s domain! But I didn’t just read the book, I watched the movie. It was an old animated movie, which will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Anyway, after seeing the promos for the new Hobbit movie, I was hoping the filmmakers wouldn’t mess it up. Now that I’ve seen the Hobbit, I LOVED IT! It had the right action, adventure, and humor combined into it all at once. Not to mention, some of the dwarves in the movie are pretty cute, wasn't expecting that from dwarves! Not all of them are old and short; there is a variety of ages among them, which I really like. It provides diversity and gets rid of the stereotypical, mythical, ancient, squat dwarf.

The movie starts out 60 years before Frodo started out on his journey, Bilbo Baggins (His Uncle), writes about the experiences he’s had and sets the story as to why everything happened the way it did. Sixty years ago, Bilbo Baggins was 50 years old and young…what I wouldn’t give to grow to the age of 50 and still be called young, and enjoying the benefits of his home.  While living his daily life he meets the wizard, Gandalf the Gray, and a company of dwarves. They explain to him their mission, which is to travel to Erebor, their home, and take it back from a dragon (Smaug) who invaded it and drove them out. They needed a burglar who would be able to help them complete the task, and labeled Bilbo as one. Bilbo reluctantly agrees and the journey begins.

In the Hobbit, you still see the characters that appeared in the other Lord of the Ring movies. The obvious one being Gandalf (Ian McKellen), but others are Lord Elrond (Hugo Weaving), Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), Gollum (Andy Serkis), Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), and Saruman the White (Christopher Lee).

Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey absolutely lived up to my expectations and exceeded it, As well as paid homage to J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. I hope others who are fans of the book, would enjoy the movie as well!

Have you seen the movie? Did you enjoy it? Do you think some of the dwarves are cute? If so, post your comments and tell us what you thought of it!


If you want to keep up with the latest books and posts, like Rhebbel Periodicals on Facebook! www.facebook.com/RhebbelPeriodicals
Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/Rhebbel






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in relation to the post or blog.
Respectful comments only.
Spam comments will be deleted